CHIRANG DISTRICT (Assam)
Chirang is one of the newly created district of western Assam is situated at the northern bank of Brahmaputra.
|Total Area||1468.42 Sq Km|
|Sex Ratio||969 females per 1000 male|
|Density||251 persons per sq km|
|District Head Quarter||Kajalgaon|
Major Highways 31C
Boundaries of Chirang District:
Bhutan to the north, Baksa district to the east, Bongaigaon and Barpeta district to the south and Kokrajhar district to the west.
Rivers & Tributaries of Chirang District:
Champawati, Aai. Kanmakra, Manas etc.
Important Places of Chirang District:
Dhaligaon, Bijni, Sidli, Ramikata etc. Chirang is one of the newly created district of western Assam is situated at the northern bank of Brahmaputra. Previously. Chirang district was a part of Bongaigaon district. According to the Tripartite Peace Agreement on 10″ February of 2003 an Autonomous Council called Bodoland Territorial Area District (BTAD) was created and and the geographical and structural outline of Bongaigaon district was changed and Chirang district was founded. Chirang is now one of the four districts under BTAD.
Chirang is an old spelling for Tsirang district of bhutan. Chirang has been carved out from the Bongaigaon district of Assam and about 40% is inhabited by Bodo people. Chirang Reserve, Panbari Reserve and a Portion of Manas National Park is situated in this district.
The economy of Chirang district is agrarian in character with as much as 70% of the workforce engaged in cultivation. The district is also rich in forest resource. Similarly the natural scenic beauty of Chirang district is also magnificent. Due to lack of necessary infra-structure. possibilities of many important places of being converted into tourist destinations are prevented.
Kajalgaon is the district headquarter and also the center for trade and commerce. The second public sector oil refinery of the State and petro-chemical project is situated in Dhaligaon (Near Bongaigaon town) of Chirang district.
Similarly in Kalmati Hills (rumored that elephants eat soil of this hill) of this district, an eco-tourism center was established.