DIBRUGARH

Assam Tourism

District HQ: Dibrugarh

Area: 3,381 sq km

Total Population: 13,26,335

Male: 6,76,434 Female: 6,49,901

Sex Ratio: 961 female per 1000 male

Density: 392 persons per sq km

Literacy Rate: 76.05%  Male: 82.82% Female: 68.99%

Sub-Division: Three.

Sub-Division        HQ

Dibrugarh             Dibrugarh

Moran                   Moran

Naharkatia            Naharkatia

Boundaries: Brahmaputra river on the north; Tinsukia on the east; Charaideo, Sivasagar and Arunachal Pradesh on the south; and Sivasagar on the west.

Assam Tourism
Beautiful Dibrugarh- Assam Guide

Rivers & Tributaries: Brahmaputra, Burhidihing, Dibru, Na-Dihing, Lohit.

Beel: Deeghali, Mei% Bogibeel.

Air-port: Mohanbari.

Important Places: Duhajan, Naharkatia, Moran, Namrup.

Origin of Dibrugarh

Dibrugarh derived its name from Dibarumukh (as a notable encampment of Ahoms throughout the Ahom-Chutia War). The name Dibru evolved either from Dibaru watercourse or from the Dimasa/Deori-Chutia word dibru which {means|that means} ‘blister’; garh means “fort”. each dibru and Dibaruare Dimasa/Chutia words. The Dimasas add the prefix “Di-” (which means that “water”) where there’s tiny stream, a river, or an oversized watercourse in an exceedingly city or city; for instance, Diphu (‘white-water’), Dimapur (‘city with nice river’), etc. once a people came to the present region, they made a fort on the bank of the watercourse Dibaru. Therefore, this may well be thought-about because the supply of the name Dibrugarh.

Histroy of Dibrugarh

The British arrived in in assam in the year 1826, following the Yandaboo Accord. they chose Dibrugarh as an administrative and commercial  center in upper assam, creating Dibrugarh a hub of activity during this region of north-eastern India. within the year 1842, Dibrugarh was proclaimed because the headquarters of Lakhimpur DistrictDuring the planet War II, the city was the principal military base and was used as a transit camp for the evacuees from Burma. In 1971 the Dibrugarh Sub-Division itself became a full-fledged district. Later, the Tinsukia Sub-Division separated as a neighborhood in 1989 from Dibrugarh District. these days Dibrugarh may be aseparate district, with the District Headquarters in Dibrugarh

Topography of Dibrugarh

Buridihing, a tributary of Brahmaputra, divides the district from east-to-west. Buridihing flows through Naharkatia and Khowang, and at a later stage in its course, Buridihing acts as a divider between Dibrugarh and Sivasagar districts. The region is flat with a gradual slope from the East Arunachal hills to the west. The soil of the district is generallyfertile, soil.
It is the getway to the 3 tea-producing districts of Tinsukia, Dibrugarh, and Sivasagar. These 3 areas account for roughly five hundredth of India’s province tea crop, and this provides Dibrugarh its justifiedly attained appellationbecause the “Tea town of India”. Oil and timber area unit the opposite 2 massive industries in and around Dibrugarh.
In 1950, the Medog Earthquake, measurement over eight.6 on the scale of measurement, modified the course of the Brahmaputra, and this caused the destruction of over three-quarters of the city. it’s since then been remodeled, although the watercourse may be a constant reminder to the those that board its shadow, of its turbulence and broad journey to the ocean.

Dibrugarh is the most urbanised district of Assam. While tea and oil industries have made the district known all over the country, it figuered no less prominently in the past history of Assam, particularly before and during the six century reign of the Ahoms. Dibrugarh district is located in the north-eastern cor-ner of the Upper Brahmaputra valley with an altitude rang-ing between 99 and 474 m. A major part of it extensive plain formed by Brahmaputra and its major south bank tributary — Buridihing.

The Brahmaputra River is fairly wide here (average width 10 km). A certain region of foothills of Borail is also situated in this-district Hanjan and Hilika are two hills situated at the south-eastern region of this district. The height is not much, approximately 200 m the western region of this district is gradient compared to the eastern region. The ratio of the slanting is 152 cm per km. The altitude of the eastern part is 115 m, while it is 99 m in the western part. Because of the relatively high slope and large volume of water, the Brahmaputra flows with a high velocity causing significant bank erosion in the area. The earthquake of 1950 accelerated the intensity of bank erosion. Dibrugarh district can be divided into three distinct physiographic zones running parallel to the Brahmaputra river These are : (1) the active floodplain and ‘charland’ (sandbars). (2) the middle plain and (3) southern foothills. The first zone is an extensive and active floodplain of the Brahmaputra The ‘charland’ have also been included in this zone The ‘charlands’ are suitable for grazing during the winter season. The middle plain zone is fertile because of the presence of fairly large tributaries like the Dibru (which is now merged with the Brahmaputra) and the Burhidihing. The highly meandered course of the Burhidihing here has cut off as many as 39 wetlands in the form of ox-bow lakes and swamps. This plain contains the rich belts of tea and rice cultivation. The southern hilly zone is covered with deep forests but many tea estates are functioning on suitable places here Located in this zone is the Jaipur reserve forest which occupies an area of 10,66,808 hectare. Dibrpgarh district has the highest number of tea estate. counting 26:801 (2006). The Burhidihing is the main tributary of the Brahmaputra river and its flowing through the district from east to west and merging in to the Brahmaputra river 32 km away and south-western to the Dibrugarh town. There are many natural lakes and water-reserves in Dibrugarh district. The lakes are used for fishery. Dighali. Mer, Bogibil are the main lakes of Dibrugarh district The other tributaries of the Brahmaputra river excluding Burhidihing are Dibru (which is now merged with the Brahmaputra), Na-Dihing, Lohit etc. With its unique physiographic elements, the area experiences sub-tropical monsoon climate with mild winter, warm and humid summer. The average annual rainfall of Dibrugarh town in the north is 276 cm, while Naharkatia in the south, it is 163 cm. The average annual temperature in Dibrugarh and Naharkatia is 23.9 and 24.3 degree celsius respectively. Long time ago. Dibrugarh district was a part of Ahom Kingdom; But later huge portion of Dibrugarh district became part of the Muttack Kingdom. After staying for a long period under the rule of Muttack’s this region again came under the Ahom Kingdom.The British also established their rule in Dibrugarh during their invasion. Oil and tea are the major industries of the district.The Fertilizer Corporation of India and Assam Petro-Chemicals Ltd at Namrup and the Assam Gas Company at Duliajan. NEEPCO near Duliajan are some other major industries in the district. The district headquarter town Dibrugarh, is surrounded by tea gardens. It is an important nerve centre of tea, coal and oil industries. Dibrugarh, even after erosion of a major part of the original town by successive waves of Brahmaputra floods, continues to matter much in the economy of this region. The State’s oldest medical college (1947). Assam Medical college, the second university of the State (1965), the Dibrugarh University, Dibrugarh Station of All lodia Radio, Dibrugarh Station of Doordarshan — all these have enhanced its iomportance as an educational and cultural centre. The only airport of the district is Mohanban. Besides, theAir Force field at Chabua (Nadua) at a distance of about 25 km from Dibrugarh connects other important towns of the North-East and Kolkata. Oil India’s Eastern headquarter is located at Duliajan, an important oil town of the district that contributes immensely towards the country’s economy in the form of crude production. Naharkatia and Moran are also known for crude oil as well as natural gas resources. A plywood factory is located at Jaipur.

Located at Namrup is the country’s first fertilizer factory to use natural gas as raw material for production of synthetic gas produces. Establishment of thermal power plant has further enhanced the importance of Namrup. During the Ahom reign it was a place for expatriate criminals and known as Kayapani. In the time of Mir-Zumla’s Assam invasion (1662), Ahom King Jaydhvaja Singha (1648-1663) built a store-house here to preserve his valuable treasures.

Official Website:

http://dibrugarh.gov.in

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.