Area : 1,971 sq km Total Population : 10,92,256 (Undivided Jorhat) Male : 5,56,805 Female : 5,35,451 Sex Ratio : 962 female per 1000 male Density : 383 persons per sq km
Literacy Rate : 82.15% Male : 87.93% Female : 76.45% District HQ : Jorhat Sub-Division : Two. Sub-Division : HQ Jorhat- Jorhat, Titabar- Titabar.
Boundaries : Majuli and Brahmaputra river on the north. Sivasagar on the east. Nagaland on the south; and Golaghat on the west. Rivers & Tributaries : Brahmaputra, Bhogdoi, Kakodonga, Jhanji, Teok. Air-port : Raraiya (Jorhat).
Important Places : Jorhat, Titabor. Jorhat is located between the Brahmaputra on the north and Nagaland on the South. Though the Civil Sub-Division under Sivasagar district at Jorhat was formed in 1869, this great place was declared as administrative headquarters of the undivided Sivasagar district in 1911 which comprised the present Sivasagar, Jorhat and Golaghat and parts of Karbi Anglong district with Major A Playfare as the first Deputy Commissioner. The present Jorhat district consists of two sub-divisions namely, Jorhat and Titabar. The district is divided into 6 Revenue Circles and 8 Development Blocks. The populaton comprises predominantly Hindus and Muslims. The annual rainfall of the district is 2029 mm. Considerable progress has been witnessed in the trading sector following the independence of India. Jorhat was headquaters of trade and commerce of undivided Sivasagar district. Several (actors viz. direct connection with Kolkata by air, proximity to a suitable river port at Nimati, location of financial institution, administrative headquarters and other commercial carrying centers have contributed to rise of Jorhat to its present stage. The main items of import to the district are pulses, mustard oil, tobacco, cement, textile, chemicals, drugs and all kinds of consumer products. The items of export are tea, jute, forest produce. oil etc. The district has a number of small scale and cottage industries in the field of canework and bamboo work, silver jewelery, furniture-making, umbrella-making, soap manu-facturing, to name just a few. In case of big and medium industries, Tea continues to occupy a major place. The cultural environment which prevails in Jorhat is the result of untiring efforts of people to preserve its culture. Jorhat has been able to produce many creative writers, historians, journalists etc. Jorhat is the home of internationally reputed deologist and educationist like Krishna Kanta Handique, former Vice-Chancellor of Gauhati University. The district headquarter town Jorhat has a brief glory as the last Ahom capital in the 18th centuary. In the year 1794 the Ahom King Gaurinath Singha shifted the capital form Sivasagar (erstwhile Rangpur) to Jorhat. This town was a flourishing and commercial metropolis but completely destroyed after a series of Burmese invasions since 1817 till the arrival of the British force in the year 1824 under the stewardship of David Scott and Captain Richatd. The British rule, though, was not free from rebellions and revolutions, contributed to re emergence of this historical town. British system of administration came into vogue in the year 1839 with an established police station. In 1885, a narrow gauge train service (Jorhat Provincial Railway) had come into operation and ultimately became instrumental in rapid growth of the tea industry. Jorhat today has grown into a thriving cosmopolitan town with a strong sence of character and identity. The variety of heterogeneity of the town population, specially its business community comprising Punjabis, Biharis, Marwaris. Bengalis and even odd South Indian is something commendable. Yet each person, irrespective of his place of origin, who has made Jorhat his home is staunchly loyal to his adopted home and fully indentifies with it Old relics in and around Jorhat speak of its glory. Jorhat is one of the important centres of education and culture of the Slate. The ancient name of Jorhat was Disoi (labor. There were two markets : and fish Market (Machor hut) on the bank of the old rivulet Disoi. For these twin markets Disoi Bahar was named as Jorhat (Jor+hut i.e. Pair + market) Jorhat has direct links with Nagaland and serves as a vital supply base or Arunachal as well. The only Regional Research Laboratory (Now North-East Institute of Science and Technology or in short NEIST) of north-east India, the first and the biggest Tea Research Centre of the world and the only Agriculture University of Assam are situated in Jorhat. Jorhat Engineering College and many such educational institutes, the central office of the Asom Sahitya Sabha and ancient relics such as Raja Maidam, Rajmau tank, Burhi Gosani Dewalaya etc. have enhanced the importance and significance of this town which bears a legacy of two hundred years. Jorhat is 308 km away from Guwahati. Popular newspapers Damik Janambhumi and Janambhumi and children maga-zines Mauchaq and Natun Awabiskar are published from Jorhat. Jorhat is the first district of Assam to open up its own Internet website. There is a plywood factory at Mariani a Regional Paddy Research Centre at Tltabar and oil wells and natural gas reserve at Borhola. On June 27, 2016, Sarbananda Sonowal. the Chief Min-ister of Assam. announced the Majuli sub-division as a new district of Assam. The district is carved out of the Northern pads of Jorhat District. It is the first river island district of India. Due to creation of the new district, the area, population etc. of Jorhat district is affected.