Area : 1,809 sq km Total Population : 12,28,686 Male : 6,25,864 Female 6,02,822 Sex Ratio : 963 female per 1000 male Density : 679 persons per sq km Literacy Rate : 78.22% Male : 84.12% Female : 72.09% District HQ : Karimganj Sub-Division : Three. Sub-Division : HQ Karimganj Karimganj Ramkrishna Nagar Ramkrishna Nagar Patharkandi Patharkandi.
Boundaries : Cachar district and Bangladesh on the north; Hailakandi on the east: Tripura and Mizoram on the south: and Tripura and Bangladesh on the west. Rivers : Kushiara, Longai and Shingla.
Beel : Sona Beel, Rata Beel.
Important Places : Karimganj, Patharkandi, Borai-gram, Badarpur. Karimganj is a south-west district of Assam, and district headquarter of the same name. The Kushiara river lies in the border with Bangladesh and the Barak river lies in the border of Cachar district. Longai and Shingla are the important rivers of Karimgenj and Suna and Rata are the main lakes. Karimganj district is located on the southern tip of Assam. Together with two other districts, – Cachar and Hailakandi -it constitutes the Barak Valley Zone. Located strategically, the district shares 92 km of international border with the neighbouring country Bangla-desh.The Kushiara river has covered 41 km of the border and the rest 51 km are land terrestrial A large portion of the border is also covered with the natural region of the Adamail hills. The international border is also segregated by cultivation friendly paddy fields. The area of the district comprises varied geographical features like agricultural plains, shallow wetlands, hilly terrains and forests. Karimganj district is landlocked in between two hill ranges namely Chhatachura and the Adamail or Patharia. The Chhatachura hill range lies to the south-east of the district. Chhatachura (height 2.087 ft) is the highest peak of this hill, but the height of this peak has degraded towards the mid range and it stands only about 1,000 ft high in the Sareshpur region. The height of the ending portion of Badarpur hill range is only 500 ft. The length of the Chhatachura hills from north to south is approximately 80 km and the highest breadth is 20 km. The length of the Adamail hills in the north-south Bangladesh border is 45 kms ancithe 11-12 km breadth wise. There is a third hill range called Duhalia or Pratapgarh that runs through the southern part of the district. It is 45 km in length and located in the median of the district and the highest peak of this hill is 1,500 ft high. Kushiara, Longai and Shingla are the main rivers of Karimganj. The Barak river enters through the north-eastern region of Karimganj nearby the Badarpur bank. After flowing for 11 km near the Haritkar region. the river Barak is parted into two parts : Kutilyara and Surama. The Kushiara river is acting as the northern border of the district and it is entering Bangladesh, flowing towards the west direction. The Longai river is coming out of the Jampai hills of Tripura. The Longai river after flowing through the district is entering Bangla-desh near the Latu village The source of the Shingla river is situated in Mizoram. This river flowing in the northern direction and parting two small rivers named Kachua & Kakra. Among the rivers of this district, only Kushiara and Longai rivers can retain water for the whole year. The early history of the present district of Karimganj is hazy and obscure. Derived from the Nidhanpur coppen: plate inscriptions of King Bhaskarbarrnan, it is known that, from 6th century this region was under the rule of Kamrup state for approximately 100 years. During the 7th century this region became subordinate under the rule of Bengal. After successions of many Hindu kingdoms, Karimganj was included in the state territory of the Sultans of Bengal (1328). In 1576 Karimganj became a part of the Mughal Empire of Akbar. The British East India Company received the Dewani of Bengal in 1756 and Karimganj became subordinate of the British. But till 1786, the British were unable to claim their rights over this region. During that period a local ruler named Radharam was ruling Karimganj. Later it became a part of the British Empire. In 1878 as a sub-division of Sylhet district, Karimganj sub-division was formed. During the period of India’s partition in 1947, except for a small portion of the Karimganj sub-division, the whole Sylhet district was included under the East Pakistan. The remained area of this sub-division was continued as a part of the Cachar district. In 1″ July, 1983, Karimganj sub-division was declared as a full fledged district.
The 60 percent of the active work force of Karimganj are engaged in cultivation. Due to the lack of infrastructure the cultivation process is not very much developed. Paddy is the mainly produced crop here. Sugarcane and various vegetable cultivations are also conducted. There are many tea and rubber gardens in Karimganj. But the rubber cultivation is only hardly developed. 77 lakh kg of tea and 1 lakh kg of rubber are produced every year. Fishery is one of the preferred vocations of the common population of Karimganj. There are 49 registered lakes and 23,535 medium sized ponds being used for fishery. The total measure of these areas is 3,545 hectare. Moreover there are 7 river reliable fisheries. Karimganj district is also a leader in the dried fish market. Animal farming is highly visible in the village areas The main products of the natural resource are wood, bamboo, the rattan cane, stone, sand etc. There are no heavy or medium industries in Karimganj district. The sugar mill near the Ratabari area is no more functional. The Badarpur Industrial Estate, liable for clothe and polyethylene production is also witnessing a premature discontinuation due to a lack of infrastructure. However, there are a number of tea processing, food-material producing and bamboo-cane producing industries. The cane valuables of Karimganj have a proficient demand. The products are sold all over India. The ONGC has been engaged in exploration works at several drilling sites in the district. There are indications of large reserve of natural gas in the region. Already natural gas is drilled on commercial basis from a site at Adamtilla in Patharkandi block. A small gas-turbine based power station with an installed capacity of 15 MW has been set up to generate and distribute electricity. Currently Karimganj is becoming a centre for inter-national trade. Particularly, this district has established a trade relation with Bangladesh in recent times. The district headquarter town, Karimganj is an Important place of south-west frontier of Assam. The town is on the southern bank of the Kushiara river that demarcates the Indo-Bangladesh Border. This town is the main centre of learning and education as well as trade and commerce of the district. Karim-ganj serves as “a supply base of essential commodities for the neighbouring State of Tripura. Badarpur is one of the biggest junction of the NF Railway. There are a good number of tea gardens in the district. Natural gas has also been found in Patharkandi area. Olivia, Bhanga, Mahakal, Ratabari are some other important places of the district.